Family Tree of the Seagroatts of Poplar
Seagroatt is my wife's family name which I began researching about 1989 after the death of her father Edgar Seagroatt in 1988. Much of the spade work had been done back to 1830 by a cousin Lawrence Seagroatt (L.E.G.S.) who had hired a professional genealogist to produce a tree going back to Thomas Seagroatt (ca1794-1861), a Shipwright in the London Docks at Poplar, Middlesex. I have since found his baptism and marriage, and also filled in a lot of gaps on the tree by contacting other cousins. His parents were Roger, a Shoemaker and Elizabeth who lived at New Road in Stepney ca1785-1800. Roger died in March 1819 and his burial is recorded in the register of St George's-in-The-East as Roger Seagroat, abode: Shovel Alley. Date: 14 March 1819 aged 78. Minister:P H Roche. Elizabeth had died in 1815 at the same abode which was demolished to make way for the building of St Katherin'e Dock. Rogers age at death gives his year of birth as ca1741 which suggests that he was the son of Roger & Ann Seagroatt in Norwich, Norfolk where they had married in 1741. It seems probable that Roger came from Norwich in Norfolk, as there is a baptism (see IGI) at St.John Timberland in 1741 of a Roger Seagroatt son of Roger who was also a Shoemaker/Cordwainer, I have been unable to locate the marriage of Roger & Elizabeth ca1780 in any indexes or East London registers. Most present-day Seagroatts descend from Thomas.
Extract from the baptismal register of St.George-in-East, Stepney April 1801 showing the late baptisms of Thomas & his brother Roger.
Here is a summary of the descendants of Thomas, showing my
wife's line in Red:
Click on links for further information (e.g. military record or Will) on an individual.
Thomas Seagroatt and Descendants
(compiled by descendant Mrs Janice Bowes 2000 with additions by Phil Sherwood)
Thomas Seagroatt was born 19 June 1794.
He possibly married Eliza Margaret Brown on 18 Nov 1811 at St Mary's
Rotherhithe. He was possibly
baptised 15 Apr 1801 at St George-in-the-East Stepney son of Roger Seagroatt,
Cordwainer, & Elizabeth, New Road, born 19 June 1794?
(If this is correct baptism, his brother Roger was baptised the same day,
born August 1786). He died on 19
Feb 1861 at 16 Cottage Row, Poplar, Middx, aged 71, Ship Joiner journeyman of
apoplexy, informant: C Seagroatt in attendance at 16 Northey Street, Limehouse.
Thomas (and Eliza's) children:
1. Thomas born circa 1813 probably at Limehouse but not baptised at St Anns, Limehouse, not in baptism indexes for All Saints, Poplar (1802-1823, or St Mary, Rotherhithe (1811-1861).. He is listed in 1851 census at 5 Hale Street, Poplar:
Thomas Seagroatt, husband , 38, carpenter,
born Limehouse, deaf
Sarah, 37, wife, born Romford, Essex
Thomas, son, 10, at home, born Poplar
George, son, 8, at home, born Poplar
Henry, son, 6, at home, born Poplar
Joseph, son, 3, at home, born Poplar
Joseph Seagroatt, visitor, 21, unmarried, shipwright, born Limehouse.
Thomas was married on 13 August 1837, ship joiner of West Ham, son of Thomas Seagrott Ship Joiner to Sarah Boram (possibly born Ongar, Essex abt 1814) of full age, spinster, servant of West Ham, daughter of Jessie Boram Bricklayer in the parish Church at West Ham, witnesses: William Seagrott, Sarah Jermin. Thomas died of typhus on 10 April 1856 aged 42 years, ship joiner, at 20 Northey Street, Limehouse, informant: C Seagroatt present at death at 20 Northey Street, Limehouse.
2. William Seagroatt was born circa 1817 at Limehouse but not baptised at St Anns, Limehouse (not in baptism indexes for Rotherhithe and Poplar) and was a Ship's Chandler. He married on 23 Jul 1837 in S Mary, Stratford-le-Bow, Eliza Cockburn, daughter of John Cockburn, stone mason of Bow. Eliza died by 1856 and William had a second wife Emma mentioned in his will of 1856. William died 23 April 1880 at 31 Queen's Terrace, Manchester Road, Blackwall. Will proved 22 May 1880 at Prin.Reg. by widow & sole Exor, Emma. William's children:
a) William Joseph Seagroatt born about 1840 at Limehouse, bap 5 Apr 1840 Limehouse, death recorded as William George SEAGROATT, unmarried on 11 Oct 1883 at Bromley Sick, brother of Geo. Joseph.
b) Joseph George Seagroatt born circa 1843, died on 3 Dec 1848 aged 5 at 13 Gates Street, Poplar
c0 George Joseph Seagroatt born circa 1849,
aged over 21 in 1876, occ: Joiner/Carpenter..
He married Mary Ann Elizabeth Marsh, born circa 1857 at Ipswich, Suffolk,
daughter of George Marsh stevedore of Poplar on 4 June 1876 of Poplar at Poplar.
Seagroatt born circa 1825 at Poplar, possibly bap. at All Saints Poplar
on 20 Apr 1834, s. Thomas & Eliza Seagroatt, Joiner.
Occupation: Ship's Chandler. He married Charlotte Boreham, born abt 1828 in Prittlewell,
Essex, on 27 Sep 1846 in West Ham. George
Residence 1851- 1861:16 Northey Street, Limehouse.
Charlotte E Seagroatt born 1847-8 Poplar; William Thomas SEAGROATT. Born in Jun 1862 in Limehouse, MDX.
George Joseph Seagroatt born 19 Nov 1849 at 17 Chrisp Street, Poplar.; occn: Ships Joiner, married Anna Maria Kirk on 14 Aug 1875 at Christ Church, Dartford, Kent.
Elizabeth Ann Seagroatt born 1851/2
Emma Jane Seagroatt born 1855/6 Limehouse. Married on 10 Sep 1876 at Christ Church, Erith, residence 53 Lower Randall Street, Erith, to Charles John Green, Engineer, aged 21, of 12 Manor Road Erith.
Alice Matilda Seagroatt born 1 Aug 1859 at 16 Northey St, Limehouse. Married Henry MILES, Irondresser on 21 Dec 1879 at St.Thomas' Church, Stepney. Wits: Geoge Seagroatt & Charlotte Elizabeth KENDALL. Alice was living at 53 Grundy St. Alice & Henry had seven children of whom Florence Amelia bn 5.12.1890 was the grandmother of my Informant, Christine Nicholas. Alice died on 3.3.1937 age 77 at 5 Brunswick Sq. Camberwell.
William Thomas Seagroatt, born circa 1862 at Limehouse, Occ: Painter.
Hellen Seagroatt born circa 1864 at Limehouse, Occ: Vest Hand.
Agnes Seagroatt born circa 1866 at Limehouse, Occ: Vest Hand
Walter Albert Seagroatt, born 4 Nov 1872 at 4 Susannah Street, Poplar.
Elizabeth Seagroatt, bap. 29 Mar 1831 d. Thomas & Eliza Ship Joiner living
at Poplar, bap. All Saints, Poplar. This
may be a late baptism if she were the daughter of "our" Thomas &
Eliza. Married George Allen, Occ.
Servant, Res Hill St. Berkeley Sq. London, on 22 Dec 1842.
Seagroatt, d. Thomas & Eliza, Ship Joiner living at Poplar, bap. All Saints
Poplar, 29 Mar 1831. This may be a
late baptism if she were the daughter of "our" Thomas & Eliza.
Married James Wallace McGregor, Occ. Shipwright in St. Mary's Rotherhithe,
on 17 Jun 1844.
Ann, d. Thomas & Eliza Seagroatt, Poplar, Joiner, bap. 20 Apr 1831.
circa 1813) and Sarah Seagroatt's Children:
In 1861 census at 20 Northey Street, Limehouse:
Sarah Seagroat head, widow, 45, shopkeeper, born Ongar, Essex
George Segroat, son, unmarried, 19, carpenter, born Poplar
Joseph Seagroat, son, unmarried, 14, born Poplar
Seagroatt, born May 1838. Died 4
Aug 1838 at Rich Street, Limehouse.
Seagroatt, born 13 Oct 1840 at 2 Hale Street, Poplar.
Seagroatt, born 11 Sep 1842 at 2 Hale Street, Poplar.
Emigrated to Australia in 1860s, married Elizabeth Cross in Australia.
Joseph born 1 Oct 1844 at 2 Hale Street, Poplar.
Married, possibly in 1st quarter of 1868, in E London Dist., Eliza Jane
William Seagrott born 13 May 1848 at 2 Hale Street, Poplar. Married on 24 May 1874 at St Nicholas Church, Plumstead,
Kent, occupation Ship's Carpenter, residence Plumstead, son of Thomas Seagrott,
Ship's Carpenter, to Mary Ann Perkins, residence Plumstead, daughter of
John Perkins, Boiler Maker. Mary
Ann Seagrott died on 17 Aug 1890 at 36 Northey Street, Limehouse, aged 42 years,
wife of Joseph Seagrott Joiner Journeyman;
cause of death: detachment
of placenta haemorrhage parturition 8th Month (certificate).
6 and 7. Twins: an unnamed male born April 24, 1852, died same day. Mary Ann Seagroatt born April 24, 1852, died May 4, 1852.
Thomas Seagroatt, Jnr. & Ann
Thomas Jnr. emigrated to the United States about 1879 with his wife Ann and children. He was listed in the US 1880 census at Flushing, New York as a Boatman. In Mar 1861 when Thomas was 20, he married Anne THOMSON, in Islington RD.They had the following children:
i. Ann Sarah Catherine. Born in Dec 1862 in Poplar MDX.
ii. Elizabeth. Born ca 1865 in London. Elizabeth married Alfred ALLEN.
iii. William. Born ca 1866 in London.
iv. Ada. Born ca 1868 in London. Ada married ? LUCY.
v. Thomas. Born ca 1874 in London.
14 vi. Albert (ca1876-)
vii. Margaret. Born ca 1878 in London.
viii. James. Born in 1880 in London.
15 ix. Henry J (1881-1956)
x. Charles. Born in 1883 in NY.
George (Allan) Seagrott and Elizabeth's Children:
born 1876 in NSW, Australia. Married
Mr Gordon; Related to PEET family in Perth WA.
2. Eva Elizabeth born 1878 in NSW, Australia;
3. Ethel born 1880 in NSW, Australia;
4. George born 1883 in NSW, Australia;
5. Mary Mabel born 1885 in NSW, Australia
6. William Robert born 1887 in NSW, Australia.
and Eliza Jane's Children:
born 1869 London.. He married
Isabella Maria Lennard in NSW on 14 Jul 1898.
They had 11 children: 7 boys and 4 girls including Rose May born 18 May
1901, and Maud born 28 Jul 1903, both born in Gilgai, NSW, a tin mining area.
2. Sarah born 1871 in London
3. Joseph Frederick Seagroatt born 8 Feb 1876 at 48 Orwell Road, Bromley-by-Bow
4. George Albert born 1879 in NSW, Australia
5. Edith born 1881 in NSW, Australia
6. Thomas born 1883 in NSW, Australia
7. Robert William born 11 Sep 1886 in NSW, Australia. Died 8 Mar 1957. Married Mary Ann Kramer (born 22 Mar 1886, died 19 Aug 1978 at Gilgai, NSW, Australia
Henry Joseph and Eliza Jane emigrated to Australia with their three children, sponsored by Henry Joseph's brother, George Allan Seagrott. They arrived in Australia in November 1877 on "The Star of India".
Joseph William and Mary Ann's Children:
Joseph Seagroatt, born 27 May 1875 at 22 Liquorpond Street, Grays Inn Road,
Holborn. Died 1875.
2. Caroline Seagroatt, born 9 Dec 1876, Stepney District. Married Rev A Muskett and emigrated to America; had children Constance, Gwen (who married Gerry Macmillan) and Albert.
3. Emma Hester Seagroatt, born 15 Dec 1878. When her father became a cripple after falling down a ship's hold and breaking his leg never to work again, Emma aged about 13 brought up the family (her mother had previously died in childbirth). Emma married Mark Palmer and had the following children: Mark, Cis, Alec, May and Vera.
4. Henry Joseph Seagroatt born 1 Sep 1880. Married Florence and had children: Joe, Arthur and John.
5. Elizabeth Seagroatt born 14 Jan 1883. Married Henry Stevens on 29 Dec 1906 at Ebbw Vale, Monmouth, and had following children: Twins Winifred Sarah and Connie born October 1907; Connie died in 1908 aged about 8 months; Winnie died 1979; Henry Stevens 1913-1996; Sylvia Olwen Stevens born 5 July 1916 at Bradford-on-Avon, died 3 January 1996; Ivor Stevens 1919-1990; John Stevens born 1926.
6. John James Seagroatt born 10 Oct 1884. Married and had children: John, Alec, Mary and Winnie.
7. Mary Ann Seagroatt born 4 May 1886 at 36 Northey Street, Limehouse daughter of Joseph Seagroatt carpenter journeman and Mary Ann Seagroatt formerly Perkins (certificate). She married Arthur C Nottage in 1911 and had following children: twins Albert and Leonard who died young; Arthur, and Reginald who married Joan.
8. Sarah Seagroatt born after 1886, died young.
SEAGROATT. Born in Jun 1862 in Limehouse MDX. William Thomas probably died
before 1901? Occupation: Painter. In Sep 1881 when William
Thomas was 19, he married Mary Ann DRISCOLL, in Dartford. Born
ca 1864 in Stepney RD.They had the following children:
i. William George. Born in Sep 1883 in Stepney RD. Occupation: Gen.Lab. in 1901 census. He married Emily Ann PRAGER 5 Aug 1906 at St Andrew Bromley by Bow & had nine children: William, Albert, George, Percy (aka Jim) Joseph, Frederick, Alexander, Emily and Charles. All deceased by 2004 except Emily.
27 ii. George Henry (ca1884-)
iii. Ada. Born ca 1885 in Poplar MDX.
28 iv. Henry John (1887-1948)
v. Ernest. Born in Sep 1893 in Stepney RD.
vi. Louise Blanch. Born in Dec 1894 in Mile End RD.
vii. Percival. Born ca 1898 in Limehouse MDX.
Henry John (Harry) joined the Manchester Regiment in 1901 as a Bandsman & served throughout WW1 in France & Flanders. He married & settled in Lincs. where there are some descendants still living.
SEAGROATT. Born on 6 Mar 1881 in Queens Cty, New York City. Henry J died in USA in
1956, he was 74. Occupation: Rose Grower. ca 1900 when Henry J was 18, he married Mary Gertrude CONNERY.
He founded one of America's oldest rose-growing companies at Berlin in upstate
New York. They had the following children:
30 i. Albert (1905-1963)
ii. Mary Alice. Born in 1912 in US. Mary Alice died in the US in 1994, aged 82.
and Mary Ann Elizabeth (Marsh)'s Children:
Seagroatt born circa 1878 Poplar.
E. Seagroatt born circa 1880 Poplar.
John Seagroatt, born 15 Jun 1883 at 497 Manchester Road, Poplar. Married on 3 Aug 1908 in St Stephens, Poplar, Amelia Agnes
Dyer (born 19 Jun 1883 at 21 Drummond Street, Bermondsey), d. 12 Mar 1957.
William died July 1935; Residence
1909-23, 58 Canton Street, Poplar. Worked
at Lusty's Sawmill, Bromley-by-Bow.
Seagroatt. In 1928 lived at
Stonehouse, Plymouth with family, had sons and daughters.
Joseph and Anna Maria's Children:
Joseph Seagroatt, born 1876, Islington. Died
Maria Seagroatt, died aged 10 months
Albert born 19 Oct 1878 at 31 Dean Street, Islington.
Living with his mother at 1 Prospect Terrace, North Hill, Highgate, aged
12 in 1891 census. Married Rosina
Kate Hook (born 1887 at Woolwich). Edmund
died at Bedford. Their son Lawrence
Edmund George was born 3 Sep 1910 at Sialhot, Punjab, India - on whom has been
conferred The Territorial Decoration, served in the War of 1939-45 as Captain in
Territorial Reserve - later lived at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Died circa 1975?
Married a Widow, Kuching Fittock who died in Kensington, London (no issue).
Married a Widow, Kuching Fittock who died in Kensington, London (no issue).
Walter William born 1877, Islington.
Occ Shopkeeper (news/tobacco). Married
circa 1906 Eleanor Hutton (born Circa 1882).
Alfred died 20 Mar 1946 at Bordon Hants, bur Headley Churchard.
Res circa 1906-46 2 Lynton Villas, Lynton Road, Bordon.
She died 22 June 1953 at Bordon, buried Headley, same residence.
Edgar Walter Seagroatt born circa 1880/1, Islington
Seagroatt born 1883/4 Highway
William Seagroatt born circa 1884/5 Highway, died in 1920 from the effects of
gassing in WW1.
Seagroatt born circa 1885/6 Bromley-by-Bow, Occ Royal Marines, died circa
1951/2, buried Highgate Cemetery.
Joseph Seagroatt born circa 1890, Highgate.
Isabel Kirk Seagroatt born 9
December 1890 at Prospect Terrace, Highgate.
Married Alfred Canning Adams (died WW1) 13 Jan 1916.
Died 1983, New Milton Hants and buried there;
Res 1950-83: 4 Heathy Close, Barton-on-Sea.
Margarita Seagroatt, born after 1891 at Highgate, occ Postmistress, retired in
1953 after 34 years as postmistress. Known
as Aunt Doll. Res. 1953 14
Fallowcourt Avenue, N12. Died abt
1980 at New Milton, Hants.
Mr Gordon and
1. John Gordon
Gordon born 1905. Married Cyril
Peet. Their children: Daughters Jennifer and Rosemary;
Son Lindsey who has his grandfather, George's, sea chest, and lives in
Perth near Patrick Holland.
Robert William and Mary Ann's Children:
Guy Seagroatt born 13 May 1906 in Gilgai, NSW.
Married 2 Mar 1935 Doris Fanzetta Munday in Stanmore, NSW.
Died 2 Jun 1974.
3. Valentine Albert born 6 MAY 1913. Married 21 Apr 1933 Eileen Hennessy
(born 15 Jun 1883) and Amelia Agnes' Children
Daisy Seagroatt, born 30 Jul 1909 at 58 Canton Street, Poplar.
Died 16 Jun 1978.
Arthur Seagroatt born 2 Jan 1912 at 58 Canton Street, Poplar.
Moved to Essex, may have been Scrap Merchant, acc. To Susan Cooke.
Victor Seagroatt born 7 December 1918 at 58 Canton Street, Poplar.
Married on 21 Aug 1943 in
Southampton, Florence Daisy Cole (born 24 Sep 1922).
Harold Res 1992, Essex.
4. Leslie George born 30 May 1923 at 58 Canton Street, Poplar. Married on 2 June 1951 in Benfleet Essex, Florence Roberts (born 23 Sep 1926 in Poplar) Leslie Res. 1992, Essex. Died 2006.
Alfred Walter and Eleanor's Children:
Eleanor Maud Seagroatt born 11 Oct 1906 at Chalet Hill, Headley, Hants.
Occ Retd Child Care Asst. Died
23 June 1993, Basingstoke Hospital, buried Headley Churchyard.
No issue. Res 1993:
2 Lynton Villas, Lynton Road, Bordon.
Seagroatt, born 1908, died 12 Feb 1987, Farnborough Hants, bur Headley
Churchyard. No issue.
Arthur Seagroatt born circa 1908, emigrated to Australia, occ. Farmer/Australian
Army. Died 29 Aug 1942 aged 34 in
WW2 Pacific Campaign - commemorated on Port Moresby Memorial, Papua New Guinea,
Panel 4. also on War Mem. in Kings Park in Perth WA. Resident
ca1939, Babakin nr Corrigin W. Australia.
Walter born 12 Sep 1915 at Bordon, occ Schoolteacher.
Married about 1940 Edna Jane Imber (born 14 Feb 1907 Northampton) occ
Schoolteacher. Res 1994 2 Homelake
House, Stn Rd, Parkstone, Dorest. Edgar
died 28 Jan 1988 at 13 Kingsbridge Rd, Parkstone, Dorset, buried 4 Feb 1988 at
George Seagroatt born circa 1917 at Bordon Hants.
Died 16 Oct 1978 at Basingstoke, Hants, no issue.
6. Teresa Seagroatt born circa 1921 at
Bordon, Hants. Died 30 Apr 1970 at
Bordon, Hants, buried Headley Churchyard.
and Doris Fanzetta's Children:
Peter Seagroatt born 11 Apr 1936 in Annandale NSW.
Married 18 Feb 1956 at Bankstown Beatrice Ann Kirkland (born 25 Oct 1937
at Paddington NSW).
2. John William Seagroatt born 10 Nov 1943 married Gaile Margaret Priestly.
Harold Victor and Florence's Children:
1. Susan Irene born 4 Apr 1949 at Southampton. Married 20 May 1972 Alan Frederick Cooke (born 13 June 1947 Southampton).
Leslie George and Florence's Children:
William Seagroatt born 21 Feb 1960. Married
23 Oct 1982 in Leigh-on-Sea Essex, Dawn Mary Burwood (born 15 Aug 1960).
Walter and Edna Jane's Children:
1. Tomasa Jennifer Anne born 25 Sep 1941 at Warrington Lan. Married 1966 in Hampstead, London to Philip John Sherwood (born 1939, Hertford.
2. Michele Seagroatt born 23 Nov 1946 at Poole Dorset. Died Jan 2000 at Christchurch, Hants.
3. Andrea Seagroatt born 19 Aug 1949 Poole Dorset. Married Michel Croisier March 1990 in Geneva.
and Beatrice Ann's Children:
2. Peter John Seagroatt born 7 Sep 1957 at Marrickville, NSW. Married on 26 Feb 1983 at Westmead, NSW, Kim Celeste Pleym (born 26 Nov 1959). Their children: Michael John Seagroatt born 28 Oct 1985 at Baulkham Hills, NSW; Bradley Ian born 20 May 1988 at Baulkham Hills; Kelly Ann born 28 Jun 1989 at Baulkham Hills.