My Carter Family of Welwyn, Knebworth and Cheshunt in Hertfordshire
Arms: Argent, a chevron vert between three Catherine wheels (of Fortune)
Carter was the 50th most common surname in England and Wales in 1853, and is to be found in every county in parish records and census returns. I am not aware of a one-name study, and as far as I am aware, the distribution of the name has not been studied in UK records. The origin of the name is occupational from 'maker or driver of a horse-drawn cart' (Penguin Dictionary of Surnames by B Cottle).
My mother Lucy F Carter was born in the town of Cheshunt in the SE corner of Hertfordshire, some 18 miles from the centre of London. In the 19 and early 20C, the town grew rapidly with the growth of market gardening and the tomato-growing industry, in which my father & grandparents were employed. I found the family in the 1891 census at Cheshunt Street (now called just the High Street):
RG12/1091 Fol.154,p.11 Sch.71 Cheshunt Street:
Also living in Cheshunt was the family of Charles' brother
RG12/1091:ED No.7, fol.134,p.8 Sch.36 High Street
Joseph CARTER Hd M 35 Gardener born ----- HRT
Jessie CARTER Wif M 34 Hatton HRT
Annie CARTER Dau 9 Cheshunt HRT
Elizabeth CARTER Dau 7 Cheshunt HRT
Emily CARTER Dau 7 Cheshunt HRT
Charles CARTER Son 6 Cheshunt HRT
Jessie CARTER dau 3 Cheshunt HRT
Mary CARTER Dau 10m Cheshunt HRT
Here is a register report of my Carter family showing my direct line in RED, as far as I have been able to trace it. There are large gaps in the Aston registers before 1740 which have brought me up against a brick wall:
1. Jeremiah CARTER. Born ? 1754 in Aston, Herts. Resident: 1779-91 at Welwyn,Herts.On 20 Apr 1778 when Jeremiah was 24, he married Sarah HALL, in Welwyn, Herts. They had the following children:
2 i. Joseph (~1784-1863)
3 ii. Jeremiah (~1779-)
iii. Jaeph. Born in 1786. Jaeph was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 24 Sep 1786.
iv. Benjamin. Born in 1788. Benjamin was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 4 May 1788.
v. John. Born abt 1791. John was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 3 Apr 1791.
2. Joseph CARTER. Born abt 1784. At the age of 1, Joseph was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 17 Apr 1785. Joseph died in 1863, he was 79. Buried on 6 Nov 1863 in Knebworth Herts. Occupation: Woodman. Resident: 1841,1851 at Winter Green. On 26 Sep 1807 when Joseph was 23, he married Elizabeth REED, in Datchworth HRT. Born abt 1767 in Datchworth HRT ? Elizabeth died in 1836, she was 69. Buried on 30 Jul 1836 in Knebworth HRT. They had the following children:
i. Mary Ann. Born in 1808. Mary Ann was baptized in Aston HRT on 23 Oct 1808. On 20 Oct 1827 when Mary Ann was 19, she married William LUMBUS, in Knebworth Herts.
4 ii. George (~1812-1893)
3. Jeremiah CARTER. Born abt 1779. Jeremiah was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 13 Jun 1779.Jeremiah married Sophia ?.
They had the following children:
i. George. Born in 1824. George was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 19 Dec 1824.
ii. Jeremiah. Born abt 1826. Jeremiah was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 30 Jul 1826.
5 iii. James
The cottages at Winter Green, Knebworth where Joseph 1784-1863 & his family lived.
4. George CARTER. Born abt 1812 in Aston HRT. George was baptized in Aston HRT on 26 Jul 1812. George died in 1893, he was 81. Buried on 26 Jul 1893 in Knebworth Herts. Occupation: Woodman. Resident: 1851 Codicote;1881 census: The Almshouses, Knebworth, Herts.On 2 Dec 1837 when George was 25, he married Elizabeth PIGGOTT, daughter of John PICKETT(@PIGOTT) & Frances BROWN, in Stevenage Parish church HRT. Born abt 1818 in Stevenage HRT. Elizabeth was baptized in Stevenage HRT on 19 Jul 1818. Elizabeth died in 1897, she was 79. Buried on 11 Oct 1897 in Knebworth Herts.They had the following children:
Rose Ann born Stevenage 6/6/1842 and moved to East Budleigh - Devon - 1861
census as a housemaid. She then moved to Writhlington, near Radstock in Soms. where she married James Swift 3/01/1869. James was born in Writhlington 12/8/1846 and died 10/11/1911.
i. George. Born in 1845 in Knebworth HRT. George was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 5 Oct 1845. George died in Knebworth HRT on 8 Oct 1860, he was 15. Buried in 1860 in Knebworth HRT.
ii. Martha. Born abt 1847. Martha was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 22 Aug 1847. Martha died in 1866, she was 19. Buried on 21 Sep 1866 in Knebworth Herts.
iii. Emma. Born in 1849. Emma was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 25 Nov 1849. Emma died in 1860, she was 11. Buried on 8 Oct 1860 in Knebworth HRT.
6 iv. Joseph (~1854-)
v. John. Born in 1851/1852 in Knebworth HRT. At the age of 3, John was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 28 May 1854. John died in 1860, he was 9. Buried on 8 Oct 1860 in Knebworth HRT.
vi. Elizabeth. Elizabeth was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 7 Sep 1857.
7 vii. Charles (1858-1939)
5. James CARTER. James was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 4 Feb 1829.
James married Eliza -----.
They had the following children:
i. Edward. Edward was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 20 Mar 1859.
ii. Frederic. Frederic was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 19 May 1861.
iii. Ellen. Ellen was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 15 Nov 1863.
iv. James. James was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 22 Jul 1866.
v. Mary. Mary was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 3 Jan 1869.
vi. Harry. Harry was baptized in Welwyn, Herts on 14 Apr 1872.
6. Joseph CARTER. Born abt 1854 in Knebworth HRT. Joseph was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 28 May 1854. Occupation: Gardener. Resident: 1891 census: Cheshunt High Street. On 16 Oct 1880 when Joseph was 26, he married Jessie GAME, in the Parish Church at Edmonton, Middx His occupation was given as Gardener (see marriage cert). Jessie was born abt 1855 in Watton HRT. They had the following children:
i. Annie. Born abt 1882 in Cheshunt HRT.
ii. Elizabeth. Born abt 1883 in Cheshunt HRT.
iii. Emily. Born abt 1883 in Cheshunt HRT.
iv. Charles.(see photo below) Born 5 July 1885 in Cheshunt HRT. Died in July
1964 buried at Bury Green Cemetery.
Had issue -see below.
v. Jessie. Born abt 1887 in Cheshunt HRT.
vi. Mary. Born in 1890 in Cheshunt HRT.
7. Charles CARTER. Born on 31 Oct 1858 in Knebworth HRT. Charles was baptized in Knebworth HRT on 1 May 1859. Charles died in 4 Park Lane, Waltham Cross, HRT on 27 Jan 1939, he was 80. Buried in 1939 in Bury Green Cemetery, Cheshunt. Occupation: Nursery Gardener. Resident: 16 Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt in 1881. 159 High St ca1900-38. On 17 May 1880 when Charles was 21, he married Hannah KIDDLE, daughter of Samuel KIDDLE & Sarah BIGGS, in Parish Church, Stevenage HRT. Born in 1855 in Shephall HRt. Hannah died in 7 War Mem Home of Rest, Alms Ho, Cheshunt on 16 May 1938, she was 83. Buried in 1938 in Bury Green Cem with husband.They had the following children:
i. Rosa. Born on 11 Jun 1881 in Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt HRT. Rosa was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt on 28 Aug 1881. Rosa died in 4 Park Lane, Waltham X, HRT abt 1948, she was 66. Buried abt 1948 in Cheshunt Cemetery. Occupation: Childrens Nurse. Resident: 4 Park Lane, Waltham Cross. In 1914 when Rosa was 32, she married Arthur BARKER. Arthur died abt 1950 in 4 Park Lane, Waltham X, HRT.
ii. William. Born on 28 Mar 1883 in Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt HRT. William was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt in 1883. William died in Iraq(Mesopotamia) on 6 Dec 1915, he was 32. Buried in 1915 in Basra War Cemetery. Occupation: Soldier.
iii. George. Born on 5 Jun 1884 in Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt HRT. George was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt in 1884. George died in Waltham X, HRT abt 1949, he was 64. Occupation: Sign Painter. Resident: High St?, Waltham Cross 1940-9.
8 iv. Ellen Jessie (1885-~1950)
v. Alice. Born on 19 Jun 1887 in Cheshunt HRT. Alice was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt. Alice died in Cheshunt HRT bef 1891, she was 3.
9 vi. Ada (1890-1979)
10 vii. Frederick (1892-1971)
11 viii. Kate (1894-1967)
12 ix. Lucy Florence (1896-1985)
8. Ellen Jessie CARTER. Born on 30 Oct 1885 in Cheshunt HRT. Ellen Jessie was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt in 1885. Ellen Jessie died in Pasquier Rd, Walthamstow abt 1950, she was 64. Resident: 27 Pasquier Rd, Walthamstow, London E17.Ellen Jessie married Arnold FARMER. Born abt 1882. Arnold died in Walthamstow? on 22 Sep 1931, he was 49.They had the following children:
i. Arnold (~1882-1931)
iii. Rosa (1920-~1990)
vi. Ray (-1941)
9. Ada CARTER. Born on 29 Sep 1890 in Cheshunt HRT. Ada was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt in 1890. Ada died in St.Michael's Hosp.Enfield on 1 Sep 1979, she was 88. Buried in 1979 in Enfield Crem. Resident: 2 War Memorial Home of Rest, High Street, Cheshunt 1940-78. In Apr Ada married George CLAYDEN. Born ? 1890. George died in WW1 in 1918, he was 28.They had one child:
i. Georgina Ada (1919-)
10. Frederick CARTER. Born on 13 Mar 1892 in Cheshunt HRT. Frederick was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt on 29 May 1892. Frederick died in Wokingham BRK in 1971, he was 78. Occupation: Rose Grower. Resident: Carters Nursery, Doles Lane, Wokingham, Berks.About 1918/1920 when Frederick was 25, he married Kit who died after 1980.They had the following children:
i. Frederick (~1920-~1951)
ii. Victor (?1920-?1935)
iii. Alec (1924-)
iv. Doris (>1924-)
v. Kenneth (1929-)
vi. Shiela (~1944-)
11. Kate CARTER. Born on 28 Apr 1894 in Cheshunt HRT. Kate was baptized in St.Mary's, Cheshunt on 17 Jun 1894. Kate died in Enfield MDX on 6 Jul 1967, she was 73. Buried in 1967 in Enfield Crem. Resident: Central Ave, Carterhatch Lane, Enfield 1940-66. Kate married George Arthur Reginald LEADER. Born on 2 Nov 1897. George Arthur Reginald died in Enfield MDX on 27 Dec 1978, he was 81. Buried in 1978 in Enfield Crem. They had one child:
i. Reginald (~1928-)
12. Lucy Florence CARTER. Born on 24 Apr 1896 in Cheshunt HRT. Lucy Florence was baptized in St. Marys, Cheshunt on 21 Jun 1896. Lucy Florence died in Weymouth & Dist Hospital DOR on 25 Feb 1985, she was 88. Buried in Mar 1985 in Bury Green Cem.Cheshunt. Occupation: Housewife. Resident: 159 High St, Cheshunt 1896-ca1927.
On 21 Sep 1927 when Lucy Florence was 31, she first married Walter John FOX, in Edmonton Register Office, Middx. Born ca 1897. Walter John died in Cheshunt HRT in Sep 1928, he was 31. On 5 May 1934 when Lucy Florence was 38, she second married Herbert John SHERWOOD, son of George SHERWOOD & Ellen SHETTLE, in Edmonton Register Office MDX. Born on 5 Jun 1907 in Kingswood Hill, Boughton Aluph KEN. Herbert John died in Chase Farm Hosp.Enfield MDX on 19 May 1966, he was 58. Buried in May 1966 in Bury Green Cem.Cheshunt HRT.
6.iv. Charles CARTER.(see photo below) Born 5 July 1885 in Cheshunt HRT. Died
in July 1964 buried at Bury Green Cemetery. Married Rose Ellen LANE in
St.Barnabas Church, Lt. Ilford, Essex on 8 April 1912. Rose Ellen died 14
Jan 1945 dau of James William LANE. They had the following children:
a) Edith Rose bn 26 Jan 1913 at Cheshunt, died 20 Jul 1996 buried at Gt. Shalford Church, Cambs. died at Arthur Rank House.
b) Elizabeth born 1914?, marr. Harry MONK & had 2 children: Elizabeth & Brian. Brian died aged 4 in 1944. Elizabeth died 14.1.1945, she and her mother were both killed by a German V1 Rocket which landed near Bury Green Cemetery. They are commemorated on the Commonwealth War Graves Website: 'In memory of Elizabeth Emily MONKS, wife of Harry Cecil MONKS of 28 Dewhurst Road. at Bury Green Road. who died as a result of enemy action on Sunday 14th Jan 1945. Age 30.'
c) Daisy bn 8.4.1917 died 4.4.2005 at High Wycombe, Bucks. married Douglas FINNIS & had 2 children Loraine & Jean.
d) Charles Joseph bn 28.2.1920 Cheshunt & died 4.11.1968 in Waltham X. He married Doris Emily GRINELL 21.12.1946 & had 2 children: Linda Rose bn 4.12.1947 & Richard Charles bn 7.2.1950. both had issue.
6.iv.(a) Edith Rose CARTER married Charles William PATEMAN on 8
Sept 1934 at Holy Trinity, Waltham X. Charles 26.9.1912 - July 1979. They had
a) Margaret Rose bn 25.2.1935
b) Doreen May bn 2.1.1938 Cambridge
c) Beryl Joan bn 5.3.1941 Cambridge marr Owen Herbert WAGSTAFF 14.7.1962 at Gt. Shalford. Owen died 8.5.1995
d) Alan Charles PATEMAN bn 16.6.1943 died July 1999 buried Cambridge Crem.
e) Derek Micael bn 16.6.1943
f) Sandra Elizabeth bn 12.2.1950 died 1.12.2002 buried at Over Cambs.
|<< My Uncle Bill (William Carter) about 1913 in the uniform of a Driver in the Royal Horse Artillery. Born on 28 Mar 1883 in Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt, Herts, William was a professional soldier who served in India and died of Dysentery in Iraq (Mesopotamia) on 6 Dec 1915 at the Siege of Kut, a major defeat for the British Army when they were starved out and forced to surrender to the Turks. He was buried in Basra War Cemetery in a marked grave and is commemorated on the Commonwealth War Graves website.|
Charles & Hannah Carter, my grandparents
Mrs Pat Gauge says "Hello Philip thank you for your site which is one of the clearest family websites I have found recently. like you I got hooked on genealogy accidentally but more recently. Our Carter link which does not seem to mix with yours, is through husband's mother Winifred Lydia Carter, bn Merton 1908. Winnie's father was Frederick William Carter bn 1871 Walkern, Stevenage, living in Merton in 1901 with wife Annie nee Sexton from Norwood Green Middx by 1901. Frederick's father was James Carter bn 1843 Walkern, variously a farm labourer, road sweeper and horse keeper. His mother was Mary Ann Collins from Benington Herts. Frederick had three brothers:- George 1868 at age 12 a shoemaker, Alfred, bn 1886 and Herbert1880. If you do come across anything which links to these Stevenage Carters or if you hear of another researcher looking for them do please pass this information on and/or ask them to contact me. It seems that George stayed in the area and continued in his trade of shoemaker. I will also put a message on the visitors page of the Genealogy in Hertfordshire site which linked me to yours. I have a spare certificate ordered in error for another Frederick William Carter bn Radcliffe Road Hitchin 1871, son of William Carter, coincidentally also a shoemaker, and Rebecca Carter nee Stambrook, if it might help anyone.
Beryl Wagstaff, granddaughter of Charles Carter
1885-1964, supplied the pictured of Charles above as well as many details of her
side of the tree. Her contact details can be obtained from me.
This page was last updated on 06 March, 2011